Map Tack

Handi's Workshop Headline Animator

Handi's Workshop

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What A Mess.

This is one hell of mess I got from ebay. The pictures showen here to the right is the Iron that came with my Stanley #4 (H1204) Handyman.

As you can see the picture on the right here, it has some REALLY Bad Nicks in it. It was unbelieveable how someone could misstreat such an item.

I am new to Hand Tools, and will be for sometime til I learn the ropes, but I do know that you you treat them with respect, and they will give you years of great quality in the process for taking care of them like your own.

I have taken great care in sharpening my Tools, mostly my kitchen Knives which are different, but my Saying is "If you Can't Shave with it... It's not Sharp" I have a Bi-Grit Griding Stone, I don't know the Grit Count on this stone, but it gets the Job done, It has a Course Grit on one Side and a Fine Grit on the other side. Then I have an even Finer Grit stone I call my Buffer or Polisher.

When I sharpen my Knives, I always use the Course to Knock off some extra material and to shape my blade the way I want it, expecially if it has nicks and all in the blade. Then I take it to the Finer Grit to take out the Scratches and to fine tune the Edge, when then I take to my Buffer to Polish it up or buff it up and get an even Crisp edge on my Tool.

With that Said, here is the After Picture of my Stanley #4 Iron after I sharpened it, It's quite different then sharpening a Knive. So until I get used to Hand Sharpening without a Jig, I'll have to Purchase or Design my own Sharpening Jig to get the Job done better then what I have.

But this is a Start of a Beautiful Sharp Relationship!
Thanks for sticking around and listening to me, Hope this post was Informative a little even thou it wasn't that related to woodworking talk, but more of Sharpning and Old Tools.
Handi

No comments:

Post a Comment